The Most Commonly Misused and Abused Drugs as reported by the National Surveillance Agency Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN).
Nearly all drugs that are abused produce a desirable effect such as altering the state of the mind and filling a void in a person’s life. Some professionals believe a person who has a low threshold for frustration, a fear of failure, and a feeling of inadequacy are more prone to abuse drugs.
Those who abuse drugs do so because they are:
- Pressured by their peers,
- Seeking pleasure,
- Affluent and want to experiment,
- Seeking to escape from reality,
- Feeling inadequate,
- Feeling ashamed and depressed,
- Seeking relief from conflicts.
[table id=28 /]
The drug creates an altered state of consciousness.There are four characteristics that describe drugs that are frequently abused.
- Prolonged use of the drug creates a tolerance for the drug.
- The desirable effect is quick.
- Withdrawal symptoms develop if the drug is stopped after prolonged use.
- Administering the drug is a fast way to treat withdrawal symptoms.