Spinal cord injury
- Immobilize the client on a spinal backboard, with the head in a neutral position, to prevent incomplete injury from becoming complete.
- Prevent head flexion, rotation, or extension; the head is immobilized with a firm, padded cervical collar.
- Logroll the client; no part of the body should be twisted or turned, nor should the client be allowed to assume a sitting position.
Nursing Actions Plan for a Spinal Cord Injury Client
- Raise the head of the bed.
- Loosen tight clothing on the client.
- Check for bladder distention or other noxious stimulus.
- Administer an antihypertensive medication.
- Document the occurrence, treatment, and response.